Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Artist Statement

Art Proposal
Over the last few years of schooling I have found myself conflicted about the content of my work. I keep thinking that I need to prove some sort of thematic point or convey some sort of narrative. I feel like it is time for me to focus on form over the real content. I propose to create a series of large partly gestural multimedia works dealing with the abstraction of human form. The figures will be important, but the overall forms are what I am more interested in. For years I’ve littered my sketchbooks, scraps of paper, and napkins with these interlocking pieces of people and forms that primarily use one line at a time. I often time find my sketches more appealing than larger final pieces I have created. At the current moment I am still a little unsure about what sort of points, if any that I will be bringing up in my pieces.

I am fascinated by the graphic styles that occur in the 50’s and earlier decades, and am interested in distorting these sorts of forms. I am also currently captivated with the works of Neo Rauch, and although I am not really sure what he is discussing in his pieces, they intrigue me. It is their strong sense of mystery that I am most interested and am taking influence from.

Since I am also taking Advanced Painting 2 I plan to integrate the projects for both class. My current plan is to create at least 8 pieces, which are at around 40’ by 40’ in size. Although the painting class will generally restrict me to paint, I am hoping to do as much drawing as possible, on account of being so burned out by painting at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment